Monday, February 6, 2017

School House

I found this old photo at a flea market in Maine years ago. It is of students and teachers obviously posing in front of a schoolhouse somewhere probably in New England. It gives a glimpse at what the social structure was at the time.Some of the students are barefoot and in overalls. They must have been the rural farm kids. Some others have nice clothing and shoes; perhaps they are the town children- sons and daughters of the banker or merchants.
My cousins went to a one room schoolhouse for part of their schooling. When my family visited my aunt's family I went to school for a few days in the little school.the teacher taught all 8 grades and did it very well.I went to a suburban elementary at the time and certainly not accustomed to such a small place but it was a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment